The America’s Cup is the pinnacle of sailing. The oldest trophy in international sport is bringing the thrill and vibrancy back to Auckland’s waterfront in 2021 after Emirates Team New Zealand won the Cup in Bermuda in 2017.
Superyacht Support NZ is the aligned Yacht Agency with the country’s most prestigious yacht club, Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron (RNZYS), home for America’s Cup. We directly support their clientele, offer full logistical support and provide any help to visiting superyachts. Expressions of Interest for marina berths for the AC36 season are closed. If you’re coming to New Zealand, get in touch with our offices.
When is the America’s Cup?
America’s Cup 36 will include:
- America’s Cup World Series Regattas
- Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy 23-26 April 2020. The first opportunity for all of the Challengers and Defender (Emirates Team New Zealand) to race, and for spectators to see the fantastic AC75s
- Portsmouth, England 4-7 June 2020
- Auckland, New Zealand 17-20 December 2020
- PRADA Cup Challenger Selection Series in January / February 2021, Auckland
These races will determine which foreign yacht club will take on the Defender of the America’s Cup.
- America’s Cup Match 6-21 March 2021, Auckland
Surrounded by vantage points, Auckland’s nautical amphitheatre will witness a battlefield of the most technological and innovative America’s Cup ever being raced.
Auckland is gearing up!
Auckland is getting ready to stage a successful event and defence of the Cup, with some exciting racing, a great village atmosphere, and the opportunity to display New Zealand to the world. All Match races will take place as close as possible to shore, enabling spectators to experience the passion of the racing from on the water or from onshore at vantage points of Auckland.
The City of Sails is reshaping for 2021. See the video about infrastructure build progress.
Race Course Area
AC36 will be raced in unprecedented proximity to the land! The geography of Auckland and its beautiful harbour allows a superb close-up view of the on-the-water action.
Along with the proximity to the public, consideration has been given to minimising race day cancellations due to the weather. The location offers a plethora of race course options in the full range of wind directions and conditions.
The event aims to be the most inclusive and spectator friendly America’s Cup ever. Please check this video to get a feeling of the AC36 Race Course in Auckland area.
Four teams have committed to challenge for the America’s Cup in Auckland in 2021:
- Circolo della Vela Sicilia (Italy), represented by Luna Rossa Challenge , the Challenger of Record
- New York Yacht Club (USA), represented by American Magic
- Royal Yacht Squadron Racing (UK), represented by INEOS TEAM UK
- Long Beach Yacht Club (USA), represented by Stars & Stripes Team USA
The defender, Emirates Team New Zealand , which represent Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron, will not compete in the challenger series. The team will race the winner of the PRADA Cup in a best of 13 America’s Cup Match race series (first to seven points).
The America’s Cup 75 class is high
performance fully foiling monohull
Long 75 feet (about 23 m) the AC75 is
one of the most futuristic sailing boats
in history and could also be the fastest
monohull ever by the time America’s
Cup World Series racing. Each team is
limited to two boats.
Check the video – The America’s Cup AC75 boat concept.
Feel free to contact us for more information!